This year the Skin Spectrum Summit conference* is pleased to announce the launch of the Canadian Skin of Colour & Diversity Scholarship program, supported by Pfizer Canada.
As part of our mutual commitment to empower dermatologists to elevate Canadian healthcare and knowledge, an independent committee of dermatologists will seek applications from Canadian dermatology residents across the country to propose innovative projects to address care gaps within skin diseases in underrepresented populations, including Canadians with deeper skin tones, Indigenous people and other racialized groups.
Selected recipients will receive the scholarship funds to support the development and implementation of their initiative.
Questions? Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
*Skin Spectrum Summit initiatives are organized by Chronicle Companies.
SKIN OF COLOUR AND DIVERSITY GROUP
This scholarship aims to create a dermatology environment that is equitable and welcomes applications that focus on improving dermatological care for underrepresented populations, including Canadians with deeper skin tones, Indigenous people and other racialized groups.
Who can apply?
- All Canadian dermatology residents with an interest in the skin of colour and diversity group and in good standing.
- Applicants must be able to complete their project prior to graduation.
What type of projects can be considered?
- Your project should address an education or care gap specific to skin of colour and diversity not already or completely fulfilled in medical dermatology. It should not have another funding source.
- A broad range of projects and scholarly activities are acceptable, including education, advocacy/awareness, research/registry, clinical/case reports, health quality improvement, or others that help address skin of colour and diversity gaps in dermatology education or care.
- Projects that will have an impact (quantitative and/or qualitative) on patient lives and contribute to improve patients' outcomes.
- Projects can be in different locations other than your residency and can include travel within Canada.
July 17, 2023 - September 5, 2023
Applications must be submitted by the deadline of September 5, 2023, at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
SHARE BACK EXPERIENCE
After 1 year, selected recipients commit to preparing a PowerPoint report with sign-off from their mentor. The report should summarize the scholarly initative, progress, and outcomes and should be submitted to the selection committee by October 1, 2024. The report will subsequently be presented by the recipient at the 10th Skin Spectrum Summit annual conference (complimentary registration is offered).
2 Scholarships of $20,000 each
Projects will be undertaken in partnership with a mentor that must be identified in your application. Mentors can be from anywhere across Canada, including program directors.
Each applicant* must submit the following documentation with their application form: (PDF only)
- Applicant CV
- Project Description (Proposal)
- Letter of good standing with official sign-off from institution/program director
* A maximum of 2 residents in a Canadian dermatology program can collaborate on one single project. Please note: one project will only be eligible for one scholarship award.
REVIEW & SELECTION PROCESS
An independent committee of dermatologists (selection committee) will review all applications and will determine scholarships based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of the application
- Submission by deadline of September 5, 2023
- Consideration of the applicant’s motivation, proposal details, innovation, and potential project impact in the skin of colour and diversity group
All successful applicants will be notified of their determination by October 2, 2023, and applicants will be invited to accept their award on October 21, 2023, at the 9th Skin Spectrum Summit annual conference in Toronto, Ontario (complimentary registration is offered).
Award winners will be responsible for the scholarship fund budget that can include travel costs related to the project proposal.
SPOTLIGHT ON SCHOLARSHIP RECEIPIENTS
If you are selected as a winner, you agree to be featured on the Chronicle’s social and digital channels, as well those of our sponsor, Pfizer Canada.